House Sitting. Sitting In A House.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Well, I am house sitting out in the boonies this weekend, with no internet. It's a very funny feeling not being "connected". They have a few channels on the ol' TV, and yesterday I happened to catch a bit of this technology show. Anyway, they had a lady on it, a professor from the University of Calgary, and she was talking about how big of an impact technology has on us, and how for the most part, no one really thinks about. Yet it influences what and how we learn, how we interact with people, how we respond to things, etc. It was really interesting (even though from how I described it it probably sounds lame-o). But I really wondered about it -- I mean, I take the internet, the cell phone, all these little things, for granted. If I don't have e-mail I feel like I'm out of touch with reality. Crazy! I mean, this stuff has only been around for a few years (grade 7 was the first time I'd heard about "CD-Roms" -- ooooouuu!). But without it I feel like my life is meaningless (ok, maybe that's an exaggeration -- but certainly alienated). That can't be healthy.

Which leads me to what I was originally going to post about. A friend from the Relevant Magazine message boards (seriously, great people, great community -- go check it out, see if you can find me!) sent me this book he had read and recommended, called The Way To Love by Anthony De Mello. So, if a guy I've never met in real life is willing to send me a free book, it's gotta be good. It's a pretty tiny book (fits into the palm of my hand -- and I have small hands) but it's like eating a gourmet meal, starting with a giant steak. The thing is blowing my mind. I feel like every time I pick it up, I am consciously changing the way I think and look at the world. It's amazing. I'm at my house right now, and the book is back at the place where I'm staying until tomorrow, so I can't quote for you what I had intended to quote. I'll have to get at it tomorrow or Tuesday. But for real, incredible book.

Oh yeah, and if you haven't checked out that movie I posted the other day, do it! It's so funny. A young adult group from a church in the States made it.


0 Responses to “House Sitting. Sitting In A House.”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history