Take That, Britney Spears!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



"This is not music made in venom or spite, or in the name of fashion photography. This music is meant to conquer and to comfort. It's meant to be human. There is an essential truth and honesty to Canada's indie music...It is music shaped in large part by our cultural landscape....It cuts with an intensity that other music doesn't possess (or, as far as I can tell, even strive for). This current crop of succesful Canadian indie bands has helped revive music worldwide."
(Brendan Canning of Broken Social Scene, Time Magazine, April 4, 2005)

I picked up a copy of Time magazine yesterday because I saw something great on the cover: the Arcade Fire, "Canada's Most Intriguing Rock Band". And not only was there an article on them, there was a whole spread on 'Canadian Indie Music'. Woohoo! It's hard to believe, but I am actually proud of some of the music we're exporting. When I made the comment to a friend last night that at long last "Canada actually has some good music", he replied by pointing out that we've always had Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, the Tragically Hip, the Guess Who, etc. So I had to rephrase it: at long last "Canada actually has some good music (strong emphasis on 'good'), that I like (strong emphasis on 'I')."

For the first time in, well, my entire life, I regularly listen to Canadian bands -- and love them. Bands I'm liking: the Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Metric, Stars, the Dears, In Medias Res, the Stills, Sparta, the Constantines, Death from Above 1979. Finally.

And I should mention that there have been quite a few 'Christian bands' that've come from Canada. The few that I can think of at the moment are Thousand Foot Krutch (aka TFK), Starfield, The Undecided, and Stutterfly, though the latter might not be considered 'Christian' and hasn't exactly made it big yet. But they will. Oh yes. They will.


0 Responses to “Take That, Britney Spears!”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history