The Chunky Milk Problem


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I went for a walk today and was listening to some music, and came across a song called "Theologians" by Wilco. The song starts with these lines:
Theologians/They don't know nothing/About my soul/About my soul/I'm an ocean/An abyss in motion/Slow motion
The song goes on to talk about how life isn't a textbook -- it's a complicated, dirty, emotional experience. When I had first heard the song my first reaction was, "Hmm. Next song..." But I listened to it a few times and started to understand a bit more where the guy is coming from. It's like he's reacting to the mentality that someone can write a book and think he has the human condition figured out, as if he understands the complexity of being human, as if he understands God. It made me stop and think about how I treat life and my faith and my beliefs. I find myself at times being very uncompassionate in my responses to peoples' pain, struggles, problems, issues, failures, and deep emotional scars. I pull out a textbook answer, like saying that evil and pain exist because of Adam's mistake, and that it isn't God's fault, etc etc. These answers aren't wrong, but there is something very detached in them -- something very impersonal, unhelpful, uncompassionate. In my arrogance I assume that having a couple of pat answers like those makes me somehow understand the psyche of all humanity. I think responding to peoples' sincere pain with a textbook is like giving them chunky milk (the thought just made me gag a little) -- it's milk, sure, but it isn't doing them any good...

My thoughts branch off from there into a lot of different directions. But one of the things that struck me the most about all this was how aware I was of what this guy was saying. Why did I make an effort? Because there was a chance for misunderstanding the meaning, for missing the point behind the words, because at first glance it didn't click with my comfortable ideas. And then I started to wonder why I do that mostly with "secular" music. I pay attention to what they're saying, and then I filter it through my understanding of what God says, and then take from it what I can. But I never really did that with "Christian" music -- if I bought it at the Christian book store, I assumed I could shut my mind off and be "safe". Afterall, this stuff has been pre-approved by those who know what's best for me, right? Then I remembered something I'd read last summer in a book called "The Journey Towards Relevance". So I pulled it out, and quote it below. He makes some really good points. (BTW, don't tell anyone I quoted this much text...)
"Some of the efforts perpetuated by [Christians who seperate themselves from the World] are commendable. After all, the world does produce some pretty rotten stuff at times. For example, some secular music glorifies rape, abuse, premarital sex, extramarital sex, and homosexuality. Obviously, feasting on this type of music is toxic to one's spiritual health.

But guess what? --- there's bad Christian music out there too. This bad Christian music might even be slow and without drums (shocker). Bad Christian music mostly comes in the form of bad theology. By "bad theology," I'm referring to songs out on the market that present God in an unbiblical way. Perhaps they present a God who is merely accomodating or a God who wants to be your buddy and not your Lord. I'm much stricter on what comes into my ears with the name of Jesus stamped on it than with secular music I hear in the mall. Why? Is that a double standard?

Anything that comes in the name of God is intended to affect and influence the way I think about Him. There are a lot of unbiblical and unorthodox views, teachings, and descriptions of God that come under the Christian label. This to me is a greater danger than blatant "secular" music, because it's often subtle and goes undetected.

Preachers who tell their congregation to follow the Berean model of searching the Scriptures, rather than obeying church lists of approved media, ought to be commended. We need to enter the Christian bookstore with the same caution. In my opinion, the labels of "Christian" and "secular" have done just as much damage to the Church as good. There's a tendency among some believers to allow the labels of "Christian" and "secular" to become the discerning factors about what a person should or should not consume. Such practices dull our discernment and dependence on God."

(The Journey Towards Relevance, Kary Oberbrunner, pg. 50, 51)


0 Responses to “The Chunky Milk Problem”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history