Income Tax, Music, and Other Wonderful Things


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Well, it's income tax season, and with the paperwork comes the fun of having some extra dollars in the pocket. Granted, said dollars aren't worth as much as American dollars, but they are dollars nonetheless. Which reminds me of something funny...

[Insert funny story: a few months ago, when I was working for the Fort Nelson First Nation native band, the powers-that-be shut the community down and had a two-day training session for all employees. They brought up a lady from the States to do a course on the book "7 Habbits of Highly Effective People". I won't go into detail on why the training was or was not a crock, but she did say some funny things. The funniest, and the reason I am even mentioning this, was when she tried to give an example for some point she was trying to get accross. Here's what she said: "So my husband and I went shopping at [some local market], and I saw some flowers that I really wanted to buy. But my husband wasn't too keen on the idea, since they cost about $80 -- oh wait. What's that in Canadian Pounds?" Canadian Pounds? What in the world? You'd think you'd do at least some research on a place before you go there to teach. End Funny Story.]

Anywho, with my recent Income Tax return I was able to indulge in my hobby of buying CD's (an expensive, but fun, hobby -- hence the "It's Income Tax Time So Now I Can Buy Some CD's" attitude). I thought I might as well use this place to recap some of the music I'm listening to right now, and what I think about it.

From most recent to not-most-recent:

1. Matthew Good - White Light Rock and Roll Review
Not too bad. I bought his last CD, Avalanche, awhile ago, and loved it, so I ordered this one from Columbia House to see if I really do like him or if the last CD was a fluke. Gotta tell ya -- I do like him. I do, I do. He's got a rad voice. This CD almost sounds more like old-school rock and roll (hence the name -- doh!). I think I still like Avalanche better. On this CD a couple of the songs have that 'twangy' Country/Western thing going on in the background. I'm not digging that. Overall, this one only has a few specific songs that I actually like. And as for the lyrics, well, so far they sound like his other stuff: some weird songs, some really cool songs, some songs that I have no idea what he's talking about. Marijuana is still illegal, right?

2. Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
I haven't listened to this all the way through, but so far its pretty good. Really different. I read somewhere that these guys take a few listens to really enjoy. Well, I've only listened to it once so far (and as I was falling asleep, no less -- so I don't really remember what was going on for the last half of it) so I can't give you a serious idea of my opinion.

3. Pedro the Lion - Control and It's Hard to Find a Friend
I think Pedro is one of my new favourite bands/singers/songwriters (I'm not too sure if it's just the one guy now, David Bazan, or if there's a whole band). He's depressing. Or maybe it's melancholy than depression. I'm not sure. And he's got some pretty different opinions. Control was the first CD I heard, a year and a half ago, and I didn't like it. I felt like he took things too far (anyone who's heard the CD will know what I mean). But now I think he's got some good things to say. I've read a few articles about him, including some interviews, and he definately isn't just going with the average Christian flow. He asks a lot of hard questions and doesn't shy away from being controversial. But his lyrics have really challenged me. And heck, I like depressing music. Also, he's got a song called "Secret of the Easy Yoke" on ...Find a Friend that is incredible. I call it the best modern day Psalm. I'll have to post it up here sometimes soon.

4. Friday Night Lights - Sountrack
I loved this movie. One of my new favourites, I think. The music was crazy good, so I really wanted to pick up the soundtrack. I'd read that the band Explosions In The Sky did most of it, and I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm pretty sure they're all Christian guys (don't quote me on that). All there stuff is instrumental, but it's rad. The soundtrack itself is fairly mellow, almost surreal. Really good moody stuff.

5. Doves - Some Cities
I'd heard their last CD, The Last Broadcast, a long time ago, and I'd liked it back then, so I thought I'd listen to the CD. I went to A & B Sound and listened to it quickly and then took a chance and bought. Love it. Some songs are forgettable, some seem a bit repetitive. But overall, great CD. A lot of atmosphere, a lot of mood. Some songs are more upbeat than others, but they all work.

Anyway, those are the current main-plays in my CD player. I have some songs on my computer by Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service, and I love them. I've been looking for their CD's at every store I go to around here, and no one seems to have them. Son of a Motherless Goat. Soon, soon my precious.


0 Responses to “Income Tax, Music, and Other Wonderful Things”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history