Comparisons Gone Awry


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Today some friends and I were downtown, going into stores to look at things we can't afford, dropping off resumes at stores that won't hire us, cutting-off old ladies in traffic -- you know, doing the generic "lazy afteroon" things.

Then we went to House of James (a Christian book store). I don't know why I even bother going in there anymore. I used to love stores like that. All those books, and CD's, and spiritualized paraphernalia. Now I go in there and am blown away by how expensive everything is, let alone how over-commercialized Christianity has become. The things they sell are ridiculous -- Jesus pencils, Jesus shirts, Jesus coffee mugs, Jesus Bibles (as opposed to the non-Jesus Bibles, I guess). You want a sign of the end of the world? Go take a tour of your local Christian book store...

Anyway, I went looking through the music section and found one of those comparison charts posted on the wall. You know the ones. "If you like Eminem, then check out: Jars of Clay." That might seem like an over-exaggeration, but believe me, it ain't. The one that made me laugh the most was the following:

"If you like Maroon 5, Blink 182, and John Mayer, check out: Scott Krippayne!"

Alright. Um. I haven't heard anything by Scott Krippayne before, so I don't really know what he sounds like. But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out exactly how he could sound like all three of those bands. Is it just me, or are those the three strangest bands to reference as comparisons? I mean, sure, he could sound like John Mayer, or maybe more like Maroon 5, but like Maroon 5, Blink 182, and John Mayer? That I'd like to see. Er. Hear.


0 Responses to “Comparisons Gone Awry”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history