Yesterday and the Days To Come


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Yesterday my roomate (Dave) and I went into Vancouver for the day to visit our old boss and some youth from the Reserve who had come down for an Aboriginal Youth Conference. It was a really great day. It was one of those days where I just felt good. I didn't have to worry about anything and didn't have to think about anything. Those are the best ones of all!

And it helped me bounce back from the crappy few days leading up to it. Whereas I had been feeling like my life was a complete waste of air, Saturday was the sort of day where I got a chance to see some of the cool things I've had the chance to be a part of; namely, working on the Reserve for the past year and building genuine relationships with the people there, from the kids to the youth, to the parents and my bosses (there always seemed to be so many of them!).

And we got to go hang out in Vancouver, which is fun anyway. I love walking around downtown in big cities. I love the little stores and the people you pass and all the little details that come out of a place where you have so many people in such close proximity. There's so much character. Ok, not all cities have character. But Vancouver and Seattle are two that I enjoy hanging out in.

[/end meaningful conversation, begin random thought]

You know, making people laugh is always so much fun. Honestly, the last few months I've felt like the furthest thing from funny. I mean, I'm no Jerry Seinfeld, but I can crack a few jokes. I think it really depends on who I'm with, actually. My jokes tend to only be funny to people who know me. If I've just met somebody, I ain't funny. I tend to say the lamest things, the sort of things that cause people to look at each other and roll their eyes, or pretend they didn't hear me. It's probably a good idea I don't go on dates with strangers.

[/end random thought, begin another]

I also just bought 'The Confessions" by Saint Augustine yesterday. I've read a bit here and there so far, and it looks awesome. It's one of those classics that I have no idea why I haven't read before. It's also one of those books that I can already tell is going to change my life, so I'm really anxious to read it. Alas, I have another book to read by next week for school, so I need to get through that first.

I had a teacher last year who read a book-a-week. I was impressed when I first heard that, but then I was thinking, that really isn't that big a deal, especially if you don't watch TV (which I don't think he does). But I guess it must take some self-discipline (afterall, TV doesn't require much effort to watch, while books force you to think -- ah!). Still, I want to try to commit to reading a book-a-week. Or maybe start off with something more attainable, like a book-every-two-weeks, or a book-every-three-and-a-half-to-four-weeks (you get the idea). Just means I can't be lazy anymore. My problem is that I get intimadated by all the books I want to read (I have this huge list) and then give up before I even start. Boo for me.


0 Responses to “Yesterday and the Days To Come”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history