Secret of the Easy Yoke


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Well, like I mentioned earlier, I wanted to post the lyrics to Pedro the Lion's lyrics of the song "Secret of the Easy Yoke". And since I have absolutely nothing productive to do right now, there is no better time to do so than the present. For your consideration:

Secret Of The Easy Yoke
by Pedro the Lion

I could hear the church bells ringing
They pealed aloud your praise
The members faces were smiling
With their hands out stretched to shake
It's true they did not move me
My heart was hard and tired
Their perfect fire annoyed me
I could not find you anywhere

Could someone please tell me the story
Of sinners ransomed from the fall
I still have never seen you
And some days I don't love you at all

The devoted were wearing bracelets
To remind them why they came
Some concrete motivation
When the abstract could not do the same
But if all that's left is duty
I'm falling on my sword
At least then I would not serve
An unseen distant lord

If this is only a test
I hope that I'm passing
Cause I'm losing steam
And I still want to trust you

Peace be still

[End Quote]

This song messed me up (in a good way). Maybe it was because I first heard the song at a point where I was completely fed up with church; maybe it was because I heard it right around the time I was having some serious anger issues with God; or maybe it was because it was just such an honest and emotional song. Maybe it was a blend of those things and others. I'd challenge anyone to listen to the song and not feel something of what the singer is saying.

I could (and still can) relate to how he feels; he isn't feeling the things everybody wants him to feel, and he isn't thinking the thoughts he is supposed to.

Where was it along the line that the church got replaced with a wax museum? I almost feel like we should change the name from 'church' to 'Glee Club'. "Good morning, sir! Welcome to The Church of The Perma-Smile. Is that a frown you're wearing?" **SLAP** "I said this is The Church of the Perma-Smile. Hard of hearing? Let's pray for healing..."

Why does honesty make us so uncomfortable? It seems to me that if I stood up in a church and spoke those lyrics as I would my thoughts, there'd be more than a few comments about needing to trust God, needing to shape up and read my Bible and pray more. Why are we so uncompassionate?

The heart is a big place. There is a lot going on in there. I know there's a lot going on in mine, anyway. And yet I find it so difficult to let those things out, because I don't know anyone to tell them to who wouldn't immediately try to send me to counselling (or try to fix me themselves). Ok. That isn't true. I have one close friend who I know listens to me and never tries to tell me what he thinks I should do.

And then I hear this song. And it feels like someone knows some of my struggles, and isn't afraid to talk about them.

Then the closing line comes: "Peace Be Still."

I can't remember when the last time was I felt so emotional after listening to a song. My heart just kept saying, "Don't worry, Kyle. Don't try to fix everything. Don't try to fix all your problems, or solve the world's problems, or worry about future problems. Just be still." When I first heard that song I felt like God Himself had come down and whispered in my ear. Maybe He did.


0 Responses to “Secret of the Easy Yoke”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history