Movies, Critics, & Rob Zombie


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



When it comes to movies, it seems to me critics and audiences almost never fully agree. I usually check out Yahoo! Movies to see what sort of letter grade a new movie will average. And more often than not, the critics and the audience ratings are the opposite -- the audience will like it, averaging a letter grade of, say, an A-, and the critics will average something like a C+ on the same movie. I figure this usually happens because film critics are generally, well, more critical about a movie -- they'll take into account, and pick apart, everything from the plot, to the visuals, to the acting. I tend to respect their opinions more than "the audience", because as far as I'm concerned, there's gotta be a higher ratio of no-taste movie goers in a large audience than in a small group of critics (though, obviously, just because a critic likes something doesn't mean it's any good either -- proven by the fact that 'everyone' seemed to love the sixth Star Wars movie, when I thought it was (personally) one of the biggest wastes of my time and moola that I can recall). But in the end, I'll watch just about anything and everything, so I could care less what anyone else (save for my friends) has to say about it...

Anyway, I just went to see what they all had to say about the new movie Stealth, and I laughed! I remember a few months ago a friend and I went to watch some movie, and they showed a preview for Stealth, and after it was done he was like, "Yeah, that looks like a good movie" and then did the universal thumbs-down sign ... meaning, that looks like a load of crap. I think he was right. Check out what the critics said about it.

For your enjoyment, here's a quick summary:

"...a bomb."
"...recommend it to any and all audiences lacking higher brain functions."
"...an offense against taste, intelligence..."
"...apocalyptic in its stupidity..."
"...cringe-inducing."
"...loud, frenetic ooze-fest."
"...doesn't spring to life."
"...fairly pathetic."

When a movie gets trashed that badly, you know its gotta be pretty funny. And for once, "the audience" gave it almost-as-bad reviews.

On the same topic, a few days ago at work another summer student and I were laughing about a review of the movie The Devil's Rejects in the Toronto Sun. I can honestly say it was the funniest review of a movie I have ever read. First of all, the guy gave it a rating of -0 out of 5! He said he would have given it a minus infinity if he had been allowed. He started his review by saying that it was truthfully the worst movie he had ever watched, and he seen a lot of crap in his years. The rest of the article pretty much just went on to explain why, but man, it was hilarious. When a critic hates a movie so much he is downright passionate about it, it definitely says something about the movie. Of course, it's a Rob Zombie movie, so I can't suppose there are too many people expecting something fantastic. I mean, c'mon people -- his last name is Zombie. Rob Zombie? Geeeeeeez. I'd probably expect more from him if his name was Rob I-Like-To-Eat-Monkey-Poo. Actually, come to think of it, that'd be a pretty cool last name. Imagine instead of James Bond, his name was James I-Like-To-Eat-Monkey-Poo.

"The name is I-Like-To-Eat-Monkey-Poo. James I-Like-To-Eat-Monkey-Poo." And while they're laughing at him uncontrollably, he can snap their necks. Pure Genius.


0 Responses to “Movies, Critics, & Rob Zombie”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history