Utinam barbari spatioum proprium tuum invadant!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



"May barbarians invade your personal space!"

Today I feel random. Once again. So what the heck. Time to write about things completely unrelated to each other.

1. I don't think I've ever posted up here what the meaning of my blog address is: multum in parvo. In fact, multum in parvo is a Latin phrase meaning much in little. I like Latin. I can't speak or read Latin, but Latin is interesting to me nevertheless. In fact, one of the reasons Latin is so interesting to me, and where I stole the aforementioned phrase, is because it is a relatively 'compact' language. The phrase multum in parvo was actually used in an essay I had read (probably on another random day like today) that explained how Latin fits a lot of meaning into few word. Veeeeeery interesting. I thought, anyway. But I think a lot of things are interesting that most people think are trivial. I wonder if that means I have a small brain? Hmm. Iiiiiinteresting...

I actually wanted to have my address as "temet nosce" or "nosce te ipsum" -- both of which, if you will recall from The Matrix (one of my favourite movies, I might shamelessly add) mean "know thyself" (it was written on the sign above the door of the Oracle's kitchen). It's one phrase that's always stuck with me. Unfortunately, about a bajillion people already thought of it, and there was no chance of claiming it as my own save for buying it for One Billion Dollars, give or take a million. And as of right now, I don't have that much. So I went with multum in parvo. Good enough.

..."And that, my friends, is the rest of the story."

2. I love Project 86. Their second CD, Drawing Black Lines, is on my list of all-time favourite CD's. It's one of the few I can listen to over and over and over and not feel sick of it. They were one of the original bands -- along with Blindside and P.O.D. -- that got me into hard music (and showed me that there is an insane amount of talent involved to pull off a good hard CD). They make me happy. What makes me even happier is that all three of those bands have new CD's coming out within a few months. Me so excited.

3. I realized yesterday something in life that makes me feel wonderful. A warm/cool night drive, with the windows down, the music playing, and a coffee to drink. The last couple nights of driving home from work I've been able to enjoy that rare mix of circumstances, and man if it wasn't one of the most satisfying feelings I can think of. I love it.

4. A quote from Jimmy Fallon, because it made me laugh:
New Scientist magazine reported that in the future, cars could be powered by hazelnuts. That's encouraging, considering an eight-ounce jar of hazelnuts costs about nine dollars. Yeah, I've got an idea for a car that runs on bald eagle heads and Faberge eggs.

Oh Jimmy. You're a crazy guy. In fact, why not post a few more?
Researches at Yale found a connection between brain cancer and work environment. The No. 1 most dangerous job for developing brain cancer? Plutonium hat model.
Researches tested a new form of medical marijuana that treats pain but doesn't get the user high, prompting patients who need medical marijuana to declare, "Thank you?"
Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, donated many of this writings to the University of Michigan. The papers are an invaluable resource for students majoring in Crazy.

5. On the topic of comedians (see, I'm not that random -- it all comes together in my head), anyone ever heard of Mitch Hedberg? He actually just died a few months ago, and he was pretty young. In his early 30's, I think. Only been doing the comedian thing for a few years. But man, what a hilarious guy. Someone on the Relevant message boards got me hooked. He sounds like such a stoner when he talks, but it's part of what makes him so funny. You can find a ton of quotes on the net (which are still funny) but hearing him say them are even more funny. So either download some files or keep your eyes open at the store. (He's sort of in the same style of Steven Wright, because they both do the one-liners and they're both really weird). Here's some good quotes (but really, you gotta hear him say them):

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

It's very dangerous to wave to people you don't know because what if they don't have hands? They'll think you're cocky.

Someone handed me a picture and said, "This is a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture of you is when you were younger. "...Here's a picture of me when I'm older." Where'd you get that camera man?

(You can find more here, or just search Google. Geez, do I have to do all the work around here?!)

6. I can't think of anything else random to say. So that's all. For now. Feel free to leave comments. Or money. I think you know which I prefer (**cough**comments**cough**).


1 Responses to “Utinam barbari spatioum proprium tuum invadant!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I found a link to your blog on relevantmagazine.com, and I must say, well done.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history