Superman Is Dead. Or Is He?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I finished another book last night: The Death & Life of Superman (Roger Stern). The writing in the book wasn't the best (let's just say you could tell it was written by someone who writes a lot of comic book scripts), but the story kept me hooked. I love Superhero stories. I don't know why. In real life, the thought of middle-aged men running around in tights doesn't do it for me. But somewhere in the recesses of my imagination, it's still a heck of a lot of fun to pretend.

I think I'm trying to rebound from my recent discovery that I never really finish anything. Actually, though, I didn't finish the book on purpose -- it was just that good that I couldn't stop until it was done. But I'm a wee bit tired today -- I finished the book five minutes before my alarm clock was supposed to wake me up this morning. Yeah. I was up a little too late, I think. But there are few things that equal the satisfaction of finishing a book. Maybe because unlike watching TV, it requires patience, attention, dedication, thought. Whatever it is, it's satisfying, anyway.

On to other topics! In the slices today on relevantmagazine.com was the most ironic thing I've heard in some time:
"Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye, authors of the Left Behind series, have criticized the new NBC mini-series Revelations as being 'unbiblical' and 'weird.'"

(You can read the short article here.)

Doh. Those guys are silly.

[enter complete change in topic]

As of yesterday, I've had to stop and take inventory on where my life is, what direction I seem to be going, and where it is I actually want to go. I talked to the registrar at school and found out I am way behind (compared to where I thought I stood) when it comes to how many classes I've done, and how many I need to graduate. Of course, I took a year off, and even now am barely even a student. Add to that I'm only a junior and have been in three different majors, so quite a few of the classes I have taken don't fit into the program I am in now.

Son of a motherless goat.

What's been bothering me more is this question that is always nagging me: what am I doing here? The number one reason I am here right now, and the reason I would have an incredibly hard time leaving (should I choose to do so) is because I started it and I want to finish it. The thought I could have spent all this time and money and energy on it and not finish, bothers me to no end. Bah! It's such a frustrating feeling. But for once in my young life I'm not really afraid of the idea of a complete change in my life. I just need to either, a) buckle down and spend another year getting this finished, or b) forfeit the last three years of college. I think I'm leaning towards (a), which, more than anything, is going to require a lot of patience on my part. Great. Just great.

In closing, for good measure (and because I can), I will quote the song "Plans" by Bloc Party:
Wake up dreamer
It's happening without you
...
Stop being so laissez-faire
We're all scared of the future


0 Responses to “Superman Is Dead. Or Is He?”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history