Hibernation Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It's hard to believe it's been so long since I've posted anything on here.
I have no excuses.
I am a bad man. A very bad man.

Before I write anything of importance (I use the word 'importance' very lightly, mind you) I have to mention my incredible good luck with the last few CD's I've bought. Usually what happens to me is that I buy a good CD, buy another that turns out to be not so hot, then get something pretty good, and so on. But the last few weeks I've managed to succeed in getting CD's that all turned out to be amazing. They're making me happy. So, in brief, here's what I got and why I like it.

P.O.D. -
Testify
I am an unabashed P.O.D. fan. And while their last CD didn't do a whole lot for me, I still had high hopes for their newest one. And I have to admit, I likes it a lot. Has some cool guest vocals (by the man, Matisyahu) and some of the songs remind me of stuff from
Brown and Elements of Southtown. Good times. Times that are Good.

Interpol -
Antics
They were one of those bands that had to grow on me. I bought
Turn Out the Bright Lights last summer and after listening to it a few (hundred) times, decided that I really liked them. This time, I decided I loved the CD right away. It's amazing. Sometimes I'll be walking down the road, and suddenly I'll burst into dance. I'm not sure if that has more to do with Interpol or my mild case of tourette's, but either way, it's a CD worthy of ownership.

Demon Hunter -
The Triptych
I actually bought this CD by accident. I was looking for something else, but couldn't find it, so I figured I'd give this one a shot. I liked their first CD, so I thought, heck, why not? But man-o-live--these guys know what they're doing. Seriously. It's a solid CD. Sure, their name might be a wee bit goofy, but it's like I always say: you can't judge a dog by the colour of his fur. Actually, I've never said that before in my life, but I think it works well here.

Mogwai -
Happy Songs for Happy People
I had a few of their songs on my computer for awhile, and finally decided to fork out the money for an actual CD. It was worth it. I've been told (by some quite passionate, perhaps psychotic, fans) that one of their older CD's,
Young Team, is their best. But nevertheless, I'm really liking this one. It's instrumental rock--if I can say that without being ruthlessly murdered in my sleep (because, you know, 'instrumental rock' doesn't sound nearly as cool as 'instrumental guitar-based pieces in the post-rock tradition', but it's shorter and therefore quicker to write--although having said all that, I've really just defeated myself). I'd never even heard of such a thing until a few years ago when I heard Unwed Sailor, and discovered a very fantastical type of music. It's all very moody and wonderful. Some other cool bands to check out if you'd be into "instrumental rock" would be Explosions In The Sky (they did the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights, and it's one of my all-time favourites) and Tarentel (who have a bunch of mp3's on their website that you can download).

Thrice -
Vheissu
Another great CD. These guys are impressive. And their lyrics are pretty incredible, considering they never call themselves Christians (though rumour has it both the lead singer and guitarist are). Take the song
Image of the Invisible, for example:
We're more than carbon and chemicals
We are the image of the invisible
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible
We can't allow this, the quiet cull
We are the image of the invisible
So we sing out this, our canticle
We are the image of the invisible

We all were lost now we are found
No one can stop us or slow us down
We are the named and we are known
We know that we'll never walk alone

We're more than static and dial tone
We are the image of the invisible
We're emblematic of the unknown
We are the image of the invisible
So raise the banner, bend back your bows
We are the image of the invisible
Remove the cancer, take back your souls
We are the image of the invisible
Or the words to Music Box:
We are not alone, we feel an unseen love
We are sons and heirs of grace
We are children of a light that never dims
A love that never dies
Keep your chin up child
And wipe the tears from your eye.

I went and saw V for Vendetta recently. In IMAX. (And there was much Ooooou-ing and Awww-ing among the people.) Before I mention the movie, I must admit I was impressed with the IMAX. Going into it, I doubted. I'll be honest with you. I was a doubter. A doubting Thomas, if you will. But I left the place a believer. I felt like I was a part of the movie. Literally. At one point, I could have sworn V looked into my eyes and said, "I see you Kyle. And I think you're special." If that's not worth dishing out a few extra dollars for, I don't know what is.

Well, you know, I had so much more I wanted to write about, and yet as I reach this point in my post, I think, "I musn't over do it." Really, that's what I thought. I even used the word "musn't" in my head.

Blogs are wonderful things. But they are also easy to forget about, unfortunately. I will do my best to keep posting. About anything, really. Nothing specific. Just about things. As they happen, as they come about, as I hear the word on the street.

I love you. All. I love all of you. Deeply. Passionately. Intimately.

Well, some more than others, of course.


0 Responses to “Hibernation Isn't All It's Cracked Up To Be”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history