Seriously Lost In Translation


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Not too long ago the American Film Institute made a list of the 100 most memorable movie quotes of all time. The other day I was reading the National Post at work, and I found a hilarious article about the list, where they took the top 7 of those 100 and translated them into Japanese, and then back into English (courtesy of the internet). I thought it was pretty funny, especially since I was just talking about breakdown in communication only a few days ago. Geez!

The originals (for the full list, go here):

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone With the Wind, 1939
2. "
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather, 1972
3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On The Waterfront, 1954
4. "
Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." The Wizard of Oz, 1939
5. "
Here's looking at you, kid." Casablanca, 1942
6. "
Go ahead, make my day." Sudden Impact, 1983
7. "
All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Sunset BLVD., 1950

Here they are, as translated back and forth from English to Japanese to English again, by the National Post:

1. "Candidly, my valuable, I do not give denunciation." Going With Wind, 1939
2. "As for me you intend to do the offer which he cannot refuse in him." The Teaching Father, 1972
3. "You do not understand! There was a class in I coulda. I coulda which is the competitor. I am something where I am, perhaps in place being trivial who, was." With Shore Zone, 1954
4. "Toto, I already have the feeling which is not in Kansas with us." Magical Errand of Oz Sees the Child, 1939
5. "Here." Casablanca, 1942
6. "My day which is made goes to forward." Abrupt Influence, 1983
7. "All rights, DeMille, as for me preparation of my end does." Sunset Boulevard, 1950


0 Responses to “Seriously Lost In Translation”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 

the sounds of music

the reading rainbow

  • A Generous Orthodoxy
    Brian McLaren
  • Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
  • Catcher In the Rye
    J.D. Salinger
  • Smoke & Mirrors
    Neil Gaiman

motion pictures

people i spy on

internet tourism

Previous posts

ancient history